Social Services

 Adult Care Facilities


Living & Healthcare Arrangements
When an individual is no longer able to remain in their current living arrangement, a DSS Adult Social Worker can provide guidance as to the most appropriate "next steps" in the decision process.  It may be possible that In-home Services will enable the person to remain at home, but if placement in a facility is the best or only option, then the Social Worker will assist individuals and their families with identifying an appropriate placement in the community.

Adult Care Facilities

The Adult Care Facilities are categorized by type of care provided: Adult Care Homes (assisted living - small and larger), Adult Day Care (8:00-5:00) and Skilled Nursing Facilities. View a complete list of the licensed care facilities for adults in Davidson County.

·           Adult Care Homes (Two levels: fewer than 6 beds (also called "Family Care Homes"); more than 6 beds)  - These  residential facilities provide care at the assisted living level. Davidson County DSS provides monitoring and facility complaint investigation services for these homes.  

·           Adult Day Care Centers - These centers provide care and supervision for adults during the day. Davidson County DSS provides certification, monitoring and complaint investigation services for these centers.  

·           Skilled Nursing Facilities - These residential facilities provide skilled nursing services. Additionally, some provide a combination of skilled and intermediate nursing care as well as assisted living level of care. The NC Division of Health & Human Services (DHSR) licenses, monitors and provides complaint investigation services for these facilities.  



The Adult Home Specialist assures that the adult care facilities operate within the applicable rules, regulations and laws through on-going planning and the licensure/monitoring process.  The Adult Home Specialist works in conjunction with NC Division of Health Services Regulation staff members.

All Adult Care facilities are monitored no matter how large or small they are.  The Adult Home Specialists also investigate facility complaints. Major areas monitored are: Residents' Rights, Staffing, Food Service, Drug Management and Health Care. If you have a complaint about an adult care facility in Davidson County, please call the Adult Home Specialist at (336) 242-2567.