Parks and Recreation Commission
Commission Members at Large.
- Andrew Lance- Lexington
- Chris Elliott- County Commissioner
- Chris Jarrell- Vice Chairman- Oak Grove
- Cory Tobin- Thomasville
- Dale Barnes- West Davidson @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Evon Lambeth-Ledford
- Gene Poindexter- Central Davidson
- Jarrod Dunbar-East Davidson
- Karen Watford- Liaison from Yadkin River Park
- Lawren Cody- South Davidson @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Lee Crook- North Davidson
- Mandy Ellis-North Davidson
- Randy Holmes- Chairman- Central Davidson
- Terry Shoaf- West Davidson
- Zac Crotts- County Commissioner @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Parks and Recreation Commission will work toward the overall development of Parks and Recreation for Davidson County. The Commission will have thirteen members appointed by the County Commissioners. The members are appointed to three year terms, and may serve unlimited number of terms.
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- The Parks and Recreation Commission operate under the following guidelines: Commission representatives will work toward the improvement of the county parks and recreation programs. They will adopt rules and regulations as they relate to each sports season and follow as closely as possible, the National Federation of State High School Association, especially adhering to North Carolina High School Athletics Associations.
- Commission representatives will work toward the improvement of county parks and recreation programs. They will adopt rules and regulations for county-wide park system.Help promote leisure activities and special events. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- ARTICLE I – Name This body shall be known as the Davidson County Parks and Recreation Commission, hereinafter known as the Commission.
- ARTICLE II – Purpose The purpose of the Commission shall be to make recommendations and provide updates to the Board of County Commissioners regarding matters pertaining to parks and recreation.
- ARTICLE III – Duties and Functions of the Commission The duties and functions of the Commission shall include, but not be limited to, making recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners regarding: A. Davidson County Parks, Recreation, Blueway and Greenway Plans. B. Funding needs to sustain the parks and recreation programs. C. Acquisition and sale of specific parcels of land related to parks. D. Establishment of recreation districts or other means of funding recreation programs. E. Agreements with municipal parks and recreation departments to provide parks, Blueways and Greenways. F. Coordination with neighboring counties or cities to establish parks with regional recreation potential. G. Operating policies for parks, recreation, Blueways and Greenways. H. Establishment of Executive and Sub-Committees. In order to fulfill its duties and functions, the Commission shall: A. Solicit public comment regarding parks, Blueways and Greenways by holding regular public meetings or hearings. B. Make periodic reports of its activities to the Board of County Commissioners as needed, and an annual report of all activities to the Commissioners each January. C. Provide minutes of meetings to for public record. D. Work as a liaison for County Commissioners and staff.
- ARTICLE IV – Membership of the Commission The Commission shall be composed of thirteen (13) members selected as follows: • Twelve at large members representing Davidson County high school areas. These individuals must be appointed by the Board of Commissioners. • Each Commission member will be a liaison between the Commission and park staff; each Commission member will be held responsible for all feedback from staff to Commission. • Commission members must represent the district and/or the municipality to which they are appointed. • Appointments are for three (3) year terms. • Up to three (3) County Commissioners may be appointed by the Board of County Commissioners each December. • One Commission member will be liaison between Executive Committee and Parks and Recreation Commission. This member will be the Chairman of Executive Committee or their appointee. All Commission members shall be legal residents of Davidson County, or held in high regard by Davidson County, or be employed in Davidson County. Except for the County Commissioner members, terms will run from January 1 in the year appointed to December 31 of the expiration year. At the time the Commission is formed, nominees will be appointed to a term as a Commissioner and no Commission member may serve more than two (2) consecutive terms. Members will serve at the pleasure of the Board of County Commissioners without monetary compensation. The term of each Commission member automatically expires at the end of their three year term after being appointed.
- ARTICLE V – Officers and Duties A. Chairman: The Commission will take a yearly vote to elect Chairman and Vice-Chairman. The role of the committee chair will be as follows: 1. The Chairman shall decide matters of order and procedure, unless directed otherwise by a majority of the Commission in session at the time. 2. The Chairman shall appoint any committees found necessary to investigate any matter before the Commission. 3. The Chairman will be responsible for determining the meeting agenda items. B. The Vice-Chairman: A Vice-Chairman shall be elected by the Commission from among its members. 1. The term of the Vice-Chairman shall be one year, beginning as of the first meeting in January, and he or she may serve for no more than two successive terms. 2. The Vice-Chairman shall preside in the absence of the Chairman, fill any unexpired term of the Chairman, and assume all duties and responsibilities delegated by the Chairman. 3. The Vice-Chairman shall perform such other duties as directed by a majority of the Commission. 4. In the event the office of the Vice-Chairman becomes vacant, a Vice-chairman shall be elected by the Commission to serve the unexpired term. C. The Secretary: - A Secretary shall be designated by the Commission. The Secretary, subject to the direction of the Chairman and the Commission, shall keep records, conduct correspondence of the Commission, record all minutes and provide to staff, prepare meeting agendas, calendar meetings, and generally supervise clerical work. D. Other Officers: Should the Chairman and Vice-Chairman both be absent at a meeting, the Commission shall elect a temporary Elect to serve at the meeting. Should the Secretary be absent, a temporary Secretary may be appointed by the Chairman.
- ARTICLE VI – Meetings Regular meetings of the Commission shall be held not less than once every other month, and a meeting schedule for the upcoming year shall be adopted by the end of December each year. Special meetings of the Commission may be called at any time by the Chairman, provided that at least forty-eight (48) hours’ notice is given to the Secretary, to each member of the Commission, and to the Clerk to the Board of Commissioners. The aforementioned forth-eight (48) hours’ notice does not include weekends or holidays. All meetings shall be open to the public. Whenever there is no business for the Commission, the Chairman may dispense with the regular meeting by giving notice to all members and the Clerk to the Board of Commissioners at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance. A quorum shall consist of eight (8) Commission members. The vote of a majority of those members present shall be sufficient to decide matters before the Commission, provided that there is a quorum.
- ARTICLE VII – Amendments These By-Laws may be amended by a majority vote of the full Commission with the approval of the Board of County Commissioners. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Wednesday, January 8 6:00 pm Conference Room
- Wednesday, February 12 6:00 pm Conference Room
- Wednesday, April 8 6:00 pm Conference Room
- Wednesday, June 10 6:00 pm Conference Room
- Wednesday, September 9 6:00 pm Conference Room
- Wednesday, November 11 6:00 pm Conference Room @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>