FREE Tax Preparation (VITA Program)
Davidson FREE Taxes
FREE INCOME TAX RETURN PREPARATION
What to Expect in 2021
January 11, 2021
Due to Covid-19, all plans are subject to change!
Call (336) 236-3024 to hear the latest information.
PARA ESPAÑOL LLAME (336) 236-3037
This year, VITA sites will definitely not operate as they have in the past. Please review the following 2021 guidelines:
- Everyone will need to follow the Covid-19 safety guidelines. Masks will be required. Only one person per return will be allowed on site at a time. Interviews with volunteers will take place behind protective screens. Don’t come to a site if you have Covid-19, have been around someone with it in the last 10 days, or are experiencing any of the Covid-19 symptoms.
- We will not be able to serve as many taxpayers as we have in the past. Our focus needs to be on those with low income. Our gross income limits this year will be $55,000 for those not receiving Social Security and $70,000 for returns with Social Security (received an SSA-1099).
- We hope to open sites by February 15. All sites will be Appointment-only; there will be no Walk-in options. We will begin taking appointments as we have in the past – 9:00 AM on Monday of the week prior. We should have a decision on this by February 1; if sites open on February 15, appointments will be taken beginning February 8.
- The Denton Library site will only be able to see taxpayers who used that site for their 2018 and/or 2019 tax returns (tax seasons 2019 and 2020).
- To minimize contact time, the Lexington and Thomasville Library sites will be Drop-off/Pick Up. You will drop-off your forms and pick up your completed return several days later.
- When you schedule your appointment, you will be instructed to pick up a forms packet and follow the enclosed instructions to complete the required forms to the best of your ability. The instructions also include a list of everything you need to bring with you. Failure to do this may delay the completion of your tax return. These forms will also be available online.
- Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early for your appointment.
- A volunteer will review and verify your information. Your Pick Up appointment will be scheduled at this time.
- Your return will mostly likely be prepared by a volunteer at their home. Your personal information will be securely maintained.
- If questions arise during the preparation process, you will be contacted by phone. There will be an identity protection process so you know the call is legitimate.
- At your Pick Up appointment, a volunteer will go over your return with you and answer any questions. For Joint returns, we will do this review twice.
- We will do 2017, 2019 and 2020 returns. If you need 2018, you will have to wait until next year.
- We will do “stimulus-only” returns. The appointment process described above must be followed.
- Looking to Do-It-Yourself (DIY)? The Covid-19 Online Filing Options & Do It Yourself Free Taxes links below are currently last year’s information, but all should be available for 2020 soon. Be aware that there may some changes in the eligibility criteria. We also expect to have a special link to the TaxSlayer Online program, which will have no limits, that you can also use for free this year. You will have to request this link; if interested, send an email request to VITA@DavidsonCountyNC.gov.
FREE Income tax return preparation is a community collaborative effort between Social Services, Public Libraries, the IRS and other community organizations to provide free federal and state income tax return preparation and electronic filing for low income households. Volunteers play a critical role in providing this valuable community service. If interested in volunteering, check out How To Become A VITA Volunteer