How do I get a birth certificate if I was not born in North Carolina?

Born inside the United States:  Birth certificates are maintained by each state for the people who are born in that state.  Contact the county or state vital records in the state where you were born to get a copy of your birth certificate.  There is a Web site that can help you find out where you should write for vital records across the United States.  Born outside the United States:  If you were born outside the United States and your parents were United States citizens at the time of your birth, you can write to--

US Department of State
Washington Passport Agency
1111 - 19th Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20522-1705

Show All Answers

1. Who may obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate?
2. What are the prerequisites to registration?
3. Does an instrument need to be notarized before it can be recorded?
4. Can I prepare my own deed and have it recorded?
5. Can a minor's name be put on a deed?
6. Do I have to be present in order to record a instrument?
7. Can I get copies of my neighbors or other person deeds and other recorded instruments?
8. If I lose or misplace my deed, how do I replace it?
9. What is a Real Estate Excise Tax, and who is responsible for the payment of such?
10. Does the Register of Deeds office record instruments that are not real property, personal property, or vital records?
11. Can I request that a copy of an instrument be mailed to me?
12. Can I get copies of birth and death records? Yes. However, you first must remit the necessary information required by law. What is the cost?
13. If I was born in Davidson County and was adopted, can I obtain a copy of my birth record in Davidson County?
14. How do I get a birth certificate if I was not born in North Carolina?
15. How do I obtain a copy of my divorce record?
16. How do I obtain a legal name change?
17. What are the acceptable forms of identification?
18. What steps do I take to get married?
19. How do I file separation papers?
20. How do I obtain a certified copy of vital record by mail?