Photographs, video, media relations, and social media are all tools that help communicate the mission of the Davidson County Public Libraries. The Communications Policy supports organizational strategies to raise awareness of services and communicate an inspiring vision and the library's story of impact.
The purpose of this policy is to establish standards for and responsibilities regarding the means by which we communicate about Davidson County Public Libraries in a consistent and compelling voice. These standards ensure that Davidson County Public Libraries are using media tools and methods that are compliant with existing policies and legal requirements.
Programs, events, and classes are regularly photographed or videotaped for library promotional purposes. By participating in these events, you are giving consent that the Library can use/publish group photos for publication and/or distribution. In order to protect patron's privacy, Davidson County Public Libraries may require the receipt of a patron-signed media release form before an individual's identifiable image is used in Library publications, social media, and websites.
With the intention of providing effective, responsive, and consistent communications to our community through news outlets, primary spokespersons for Davidson County Public Libraries are the Library Director.
Davidson County Public Libraries strive to use social media in advancing its organizational mission and goals. All official Davidson County Public Libraries presence on social media sites or services are considered an extension of the organization's information networks and are governed by the organization's policies including e-mail, Internet usage, and computer policies; this policy applies to all types of online public communications.
- Official use of Davidson County Public Libraries social media services is ultimately the responsibility of the Librarians. Only authorized agents are permitted to conduct official Davidson County Public Libraries business using social media sites and tools.
- Library staff is responsible for complying with all applicable federal, state, and county laws, regulations, and policies. This includes adherence to established laws and policies regarding copyright, fair use, records retention, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), First Amendment, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), privacy laws and information security policies established by Davidson County Public Libraries.
- Davidson County Public Libraries reserve the right to withdraw certain posts and/or remove inappropriate comments that are not consistent with Davidson County Public Libraries policies.
- Davidson County Public Libraries will monitor all social media content and evaluate the effectiveness of the organization's social media presence to ensure adherence to the Communications Policy for appropriate use, messaging and branding consistent with realizing the mission and vision of the Davidson County Public Libraries.
- Social Media and Internet postings should not disclose any information that is confidential or proprietary to Davidson County Public Libraries or to any third party that has disclosed information to the organization.
- Davidson County Public Libraries and Internet postings should include Davidson County Public Libraries logos or images.
- Library staff communicating with the public and/or posting content in any Davidson County Public Libraries sanctioned social media presence will be clearly identifiable as a Davidson County Public Libraries employee and abide by the same employee code of conduct applied to normal business operations.
- Staff members using social media are responsible for regularly reviewing and consistently following the Davidson County Public Libraries Communications Policy.
- Davidson County Public Libraries employees posting library and/or public sector industry related content on personal social meda account(s) should neither claim nor imply that they are speaking on the organization's behalf. In such instances that an employee is identifiable as a library staff member on their personal social media accounts, the staff member's comments should include a disclaimer: "The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of Davidson County Public Libraries."