The Davidson County Public Library communicates its mission and information about its services through a variety of means, including but not limited to, photographs, video, media releases, newsletters and social media. Through its Communications Policy, The Davidson County Public Library strives to raise awareness of services, communicate an inspiring vision and share stories about the ways the library positively impacts the community.
The purpose of this policy is to establish standards and responsibilities so that communications from the Davidson County Public Library are accurate, consistent, compelling and that they are in keeping with existing policies and legal requirements.
- Programs, events and classes are regularly photographed or videotaped for library promotional purposes.
- By participating in these events, participants are giving consent that the Library can use/publish group photos for publication and/or distribution. In order to protect patron's privacy, Davidson County Public Libraries may require the receipt of a patron-signed media release form before an individual's identifiable image is used in Library publications, social media, and web sites.
- With the intention of providing effective, responsive, and consistent communications to the community through news outlets, the primary spokesperson for the Davidson County Public Library is the Library Director or his or her designee.
Davidson County Public Libraries strive to use social media in advancing the organizational mission and goals. The library's presence on social media sites or services is considered an extension of the Davidson County Government's information networks and are governed by its policies including e-mail, Internet usage and computer policies; this policy applies to all types of online public communications.
- The Library Director, under the direct of the Assistant County Manager, oversees the Davidson County Public Library's social media presence. Only his of her designees are permitted to conduct business using Davidson County Public Library social media accounts.
- Library staff is responsible for complying with all applicable federal, state and county laws, regulations and policies. This includes adherence to established laws and policies regarding copyright, fair use, records retention, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), First Amendment, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), privacy laws and information security policies established by Davidson County Public Libraries.
- Davidson County Public Libraries reserve the right to withdraw certain posts and/or remove inappropriate comments that are not consistent with Davidson County Public Libraries policies or are unlawful.
- Davidson County Public Libraries will monitor all social media content and evaluate the effectiveness of the organization's social media presence to ensure adherence to the Communications Policy for appropriate use, messaging and branding consistent with the mission and vision of the Davidson County Public Libraries.
- Social Media and Internet postings should not disclose any information that is confidential or proprietary to Davidson County Public Library or to any third party that has disclosed information to the organization.
- Davidson County Public Libraries and Internet postings should include Davidson County Public Libraries logos or images.
- Library staff communicating with the public and/or posting content in any Davidson County Public Library social media accounts will be clearly identifiable as a Davidson County Public Library employee and abide by the same employee code of conduct applied to normal business operations and in keeping with the Davidson County Human Resources Resolution.
- Staff members using social media are responsible for regularly reviewing and consistently following the Davidson County Public Library Communications Policy.
- Davidson County Public Library employees posting library and/or public sector industry related content on personal social media account(s) should neither claim nor imply that they are speaking on the organization's behalf. In such instances that an employee is identifiable as a library staff member on their personal social media accounts, the staff member's comments should include a disclaimer: "The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of Davidson County Public Library."